Today there is only one cinema in the whole of Redcar and Cleveland Borough - the Regent, in Redcar - but in its time Saltburn has been the home of four cinemas.
The Picture House was in the Assembly Rooms in the Valley Gardens. It was originally a theatre for variety shows and concerts. Lily Langtry had topped the bill here on August 7th 1911 and tickets could be purchased for as little as one shilling (5p), although reserved seats were five shillings (25p). The Picture House had "the very latest system of heating installed" and was "always warm and comfortable even on the coldest nights". Unfortunately this cinema closed down in the late 1920s.
In 1911 the Electric Theatre opened in Diamond Street. It was owned by the London Bioscope Company and occupied the former Parochial Hall. It held "matinees every Saturday and on all wet days".
Another cinema which operated in the early twentieth century was Pictureland in Milton Street.
The building of the Kosy Kinema remains today although
it is due for demolition. It opened in the 1920s and ran for about forty
years when it became a bingo hall and social club.